October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Posted by Stethoscope.com on Oct 8th 2018
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is an annual international health campaign organized to increase awareness of breast cancer and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and cure. Stethoscope.com has partnered with 3M Littmann and American Diagnostic Corp to join the fight and someday win the battle against breast cancer. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of these pink stethoscopes, diagnostic kits, and equipment will be donated to the American Cancer Society.
According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, here in the United States:
- One in eight women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women.
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among women.
- Each year it is estimated that over 252,710 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,500 will die.
- Although breast cancer in men is rare, an estimated 2,470 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and approximately 460 will die each year.
- On average, every 2 minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer and 1 woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes.
- Over 3.3 million breast cancer survivors are alive in the United States today.
However, there is some good news! In recent years death rates from breast cancer have been declining in part due to better screening, early detection, increased awareness, and continually improving treatment options.